Records Bureau

Obtaining Police Information

1.  How can I get a copy of my police report?

Call the Records Bureau at 587-1106 and ask if you will be able to get a copy of the report that you would like. There are a variety of reasons that you may not be able to get a copy of your report: the report has not been completed yet, the matter is currently under investigation or the report is of a sensitive nature and cannot be disseminated.

2.  Do I have to pay to get police reports?

Yes. Police reports are .05 cents per page if you come to the station to get them. Victims of domestic violence may obtain their reports at no charge. If you call and request that a report be sent or faxed to you, you will be charged $.05 plus postage ($.49) per page (total=$.54 per page). These fees must be pre-paid in cash or with a personal check made payable to the Northampton Police Department.

3.  How can I get a copy of my criminal record?

You may come into the police department and go to the Records Bureau during business hours. Bring a picture ID with you. You will be asked to complete a form. That form will be sent to the Board of Probation and you will obtain your Massachusetts criminal record from them. You may complete a separate form that will allow you to obtain a record of your contacts with the Northampton Police Department. Once this form is completed you will be given a copy of your involvement with our police department. This is a check of the NPD computer system and not a criminal records check.

4.  How can I obtain crime statistics?

Our website contains a daily log of police activity and a specific section titled "Crime Statistics."  If you have questions about specific crime data, you may review the statistics section of our website or you may contact the Records Bureau and they may be able to provide you with the information that you are looking for.

5.  Can I get a copy of a police report regarding a matter that is currently under investigation?

Probably not.  The department will not release reports if cases are still being investigated because it could jeopardize the investigation.

6.  How can I contact the Records Bureau and when are they open?

The Records Bureau can be contacted at 587-1106. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. They are closed on holidays.