Contact: Captain John D. Cartledge FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Targeted Enforcement Initiative Nets Heroin Trafficking
And Distribution Arrests
NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts (December 16, 2015)- In the early morning hours on Wednesday, December 16, 2015, members of the Northampton Police Department Detective Bureau and Patrol Division, in conjunction with the Northwestern District Attorney’s Anti-Crime Task Force, Massachusetts State Police S.T.O.P. Team, and the MSP K-9 Unit, executed three search warrants in apartments at the following locations throughout the City of Northampton: 81 Conz St (Walter Salvo House), 35 Fruit St (Cahill Apartments), and 491 Bridge Rd (Meadowbrook Apartments). This investigation was initiated by a special team of Northampton Police Detectives and Patrol Officers who have been focusing dilligently on specific drug issues within our community over the recent months. As a result of this investigation, which also involved a collaborative effort with the Northampton Housing Authority, two individuals were placed under arrest for numerous charges. These individuals are being identified as: Virgilio Rivera Jr. (age 38) and Duane G. Ranney (age 55), both of Northampton.
During a search of Rivera’s home and person, Officers seized 731 bags of heroin, as well as various other types of drugs that were packaged for sale.
Charges against Virgilio Rivera Jr. are as follows:
- Trafficking of Heroin
- Possession of a Class A substance (to wit Fentanyl)
- Possession of a Class B substance (to wit Suboxone)
- Possession of a Class C substance with Intent to Distribute (to wit Hashish).
- Possession of a Class C substance (to wit Vicodin)
- Possession of a Class D substance with Intent to Distribute (to wit Marijuana)
- Possession of a Class E substance (to wit Olanzapine)
- Possession of a Class E substance (to wit Trazadone Hydrochloride) (2 counts)
- Possession of a Dangerous Weapon (to wit brass knuckles)
- Possession of Ammunition without a valid permit
As a result of the search of Ranney’s home, Officers seized sixty bags of heroin as well as a small amount of cocaine.
Duane G. Ranney will be charged with:
- Possession of a Class A substance with intent to distribute (to wit heroin)
- Possession of a Class B substance (to wit cocaine)